During the month of September Wikipedia organised a month long international photo contest called Wiki Loves Monuments (WLM). The public was invited to upload and share photos of heritage sites including buildings, monuments, archaeological sites, sculpture, churches, memorials, graves, tombs, temples, statues etc. These photos are uploaded to
Wikimedia Commons which allows Wikipedia to use them.
In all honesty, I've been seeing the add on Wikipedia's home page throughout September but paid little attention to it until the last week of the month when I had an "ohmigosh" moment, so I went through some pics I'd taken and decided to just go for it. Why not? I didn't enter this with the purpose of winning anything, I entered simply because I just wanted to. Why not?
These are some of the photos I submitted.
+1.jpg) |
Dutch Reformed Church (NG Kerk), Middelburg
|
 |
| Donkin Reserve and Lighthouse, Port Elizabeth |
 |
| Donkin Reserve Pyramid and mosaic, Port Elizabeth |
 |
| War Memorial, Jeppe High School for Boys, Johannesburg |
 |
| Union Buildings, Pretoria |
 |
| Bronze Group Memorial, Union Buildings, Pretoria |
I'm curious to know about the historic sites in your town or city, whether people are aware of them and their significance, their impact (if any) and how they merge with the newer infrastructure that forms part of the modern landscape.
One thing for sure, I'm not only looking forward to September 2013, but the amount of discovery and learning that lies ahead.
No comments:
Post a Comment