Wednesday, July 17, 2013

You have nothing to lose.



These words have resonated deep within me so much that I can’t fool myself to think otherwise. It is with this mindset that I stopped hiding behind the guise that I am still building a portfolio, learning, gaining experience...bla bla bla and just went for it and created a place for sharing my photographs. This place is not only open to my friends and acquaintances, but everyone else too. Scary stuff huh...or not.

So here it is, a link to the Facebook page for this aspiring photographer.

Portia T. Photography

I’ll admit, I owe this jump to a lot of people: my better half and my sister for their many words of encouragement, people who’ve been asking where they can see my work, acquaintances who believed in what I wanted to do and friends who’s been urging me on.

My trusted compact.

New shiny Nikon.

One major thing that happened this year was that I got a DSLR camera, yay. Hello manual setting and shutter speed control. Suddenly I could go boker crazy. Nice. I still use my compact, it’s a great camera and we’ve been through a lot together since the days of chopping up tomatoes and onions.


This is a photo of my friend’s partner and their son. It happened purely by chance and ended up being one of my favourite. I asked my friend if she would allow me to practice my portrait skills (white figuring out the many dials on this camera) on them and they happily agreed. I’m really glad we did this shoot, I learnt so much from it.


I guess the point of this entry is to share this: Our lives are made up of experiences and memories we create: from missing the start of an event because the GPS on your phone froze, losing friends and loved ones to stupid accidents and illnesses, celebrating birth and toasting to triumphs. Anything can happen anytime, it’s important to make everyday count. 

So here's to learning and creating memories.

Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That quote is really powerful. Congrats, I am so proud to know you. You are a very talented artist. The only way is up for you huny.

Portia said...

Thank you Busi, I truly appreciate your kind words and support.

Unknown said...

Hi love. Looking back at all the work you've done and I realized you've been busy.
You have a portfolio that you should be proud of. I think you've done great work.
I remember the days you would fret over the 30 day challenge. Lol and look at you now taking pictures for concerts. You've grown Portia.

And now it's time to take another step. You know the step I'm referring to :-)

You'll do well. I'm so proud of you my love.

If you can't run, walk. If you can't walk, crawl. Whatever you do keep moving forward.... don't remember who said this.

Keep up the good work.

Love always,

Paul.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...